Thursday, October 6, 2022

9 Days Until Race Day! ☀☁⛈

Checking the extended forecast is a pre-race ritual for many runners. We want to know what to expect when we toe the line on race day. 


So far the weather looks good for October 15-16, but we all know that a 9-day New England weather prediction and 50 cents might get you a half of cup of coffee! I will be preparing for the cold and rain as well as the sun and wind. Luckily, this race will bring me back to my base camp every 15 miles, so I can change clothes and shoes if needed. 

As I have been preparing for the race, my thoughts have been with the Venezuelan migrants who were misled and transported from Texas to Martha's Vineyard. It's difficult to imagine how these immigrants must have felt, being promised so much and then landing on a remote island where every promise proved to be a lie. Thankfully, local residents and organizations quickly put into place a hospitality plan, and lawyers are now at work preparing cases, but these immigrants' situations are far from resolved. 

Worrying about the possibility of cold weather on a race day is a privilege compared to the types of uncertainty many of  our migrant sisters and brothers face everyday. I am grateful that so many have joined this effort to extend free, expert legal services to migrants that arrive in Western, Central, and Northeastern Massachusetts.  Every donation to New England Justice for Our Neighbors contributes to our shared effort to provide immigration justice and create a brighter forecast for our clients' futures. 

If you would like to join the team of race sponsors, follow this link.  Thank you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Getting Me to the Finish

Sunday afternoon at 2:15 PM I met my goal of covering 100 miles in under 30 hours.  My final time was 29 hours and 15 minutes.  The weather ...